Mushrooms & Dogs-A Dangerous Combination

Our yards in the Pacific Northwest are abundent with fall color as well as many varieties of mushrooms this time of year.  This year in particular our yards seem to have a plethora of mushrooms growing in our lawns, under our trees, even on our trees.  Several of the varieties are poisonous and should be avoided by our pets.

Dogs like people often like mushrooms and are attracted to them by scent and sight and will ingest them willingly.  Unfortunately, they can make our dogs ill and in some cases the ingestion of mushrooms can be fatal to our canine companions.

The vets at Cottage Lake Veterinary Hospital recommend that owners presume that the mushrooms in their yard are dangerous and remove them from their yard prior to letting their dog(s) out.  This can be a large task for those with big yards however, the extra effort may save the dog’s life and certainly a costly veterinary visit.

Dog owners should also be vigilent about looking for mushrooms when walking with their dogs in parks, along the roadside and on trails this time of year as they are commonly found in these areas as well.

The veterinarians at Cottage Lake Veterinary Hospital advise owners that actually observe their dog eat a mushroom to induce vomiting immediately and to call us to bring the dog into the hospital for further treatment.

Poisonous mushrooms can cause the following clinical syndromes within 6 hours of being ingested:

  • Gastrointestinal irritation such as vomiting and diarhea
  • Excessive salivation and tear production with pupils very small and consticted
  • Very slow heartbeat (bradycardia)
  • Depression and lethargy
  • Yellowing of the whites of the eyes and mucous membranes (sign of liver damage)
  • Seizures

We want everyone to enjoy our wonderful fall days but also to be aware of mushrooms and to keep your dog protected against them.  If your dog shows any of the above symptoms please call Cottage Lake Veterinary Hospital for immediate help.  Time is of the essence when treating dogs for poison exposure.

Comments are closed.

Facebook